It all started one day when I was exhausted and moody for a reason I can't even remember. I come home from work (exhausted and moody) with Ethan (boyfriend), nowhere to be found. Little did I know he was at my favorite local grocery store, Lucky's Market, getting bags full of groceries (and wine) to make homemade pizza!
Needless to stay it was an elaborate process, with a lot of texting & googling questions. He had never made pizza and I had only witnessed my dad (Dave) put together some delicious pies. We decided we need to go balls to the wall and make everything from scratch.
First step. Dough. After much googling, we went with good ol' Bobby Flay's recipe , instead of water sub in a light beer. (this is a great time to get rid of those nasty Bud Lights hanging around in the fridge).
Second Step. Sauce. After some pointers from E's cousin we came up with a pretty damn good concoction.
- Melt 1-2 TB of butter in a saucepan over medium heat
- Add in 1/4-1/3 cup onion & 1-2 TB of garlic (we really like our garlic) and sautee until fragrant
- Add in one 15oz can of tomato sauce and 3 oz (half a can) of tomato paste
- Mix everything in and let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Feel free to add salt/pepper/chili flakes as it simmers, the more taste checks the better...am I right?!
- Add in a TB of white vinegar, chopped fresh basil and grated parmesan cheese and let simmer for just a wee bit longer until taste is to your desire.
At this point, it was time to handle the big ball...of dough of course. We went for 2 thick pan style crust. Essentially we oiled up two 8" cake pans and fit the dough to the pan, leaving the crust thick on the outside. We dabbled the crust with some garlic olive oil, in hopes for some extra garlicky flavor
Then the fun part...CHEESE!
Well before I get ahead of myself, we spooned the sauce in and thennnn cheese cheese cheese. We went for classic mozzarella on both, Asiago cheese crust on one, and sliced chicken on the other. We had no idea what to expect, we were more than ready to call up the Wig had this been a total disaster. To our surprise...it was the greatest thing ever.
Needless to stay there was a long time for photo ops and & snap chats before we could actually dig in. At the end I was definitely force feeding myself but I couldn't allow myself to stop it was just too damn good!