Don't worry there isn't any tofu and yes, there is still cheese.
This is something that my mom made and ever since I've been itching to make it - however this is not something the man of the house would be very interested in. So with him being gone on a ski trip it was the perfect opportunity.
Welcome to [Italian turkey] sausage & sweet potato zucchini lasagna from Pinch of Yum
It takes a little bit of work, but the hardest part is the 15 minutes after it's done baking and you have to wait to let it cool. PURE TORTURE. I just had this for leftovers and y'all...you just need to have it. Who knew something that resembles baby food (this sweet potato puree) could be so damn amazing...but I'll still hold off on the baby part please.
Here's a quick play by play - sweat out the zucchini, layer the zucchini, sweet potato puree, ground Italian turkey sausage, zucchini, puree, sausage, zucchini, puree & cheese!
- 3 zucchini
- 1 lb. ground turkey Italian sausage
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 cup non fat milk
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Cut the zucchini into thin strips lengthwise. I did this with a normal vegetable peeler & resorted to a knife once it started to become too difficult.
- Lay down the zucchini on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt. Let them rest & "sweat it out"
- In a skillet, brown the ground turkey with 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Wash the sweet potatoes, poke/stab/pierce whatever you want with a fork and wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave for about 7 minutes. (BTW this is my go to way to cook sweet potatoes in a pinch!) If you prefer you can bake them too.
- Chop up the sweet potatoes and place in a blender with the milk, chicken broth, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, and 1/2 teaspoon salt - puree until smooth & delicious.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Now its time to layer! Start with the sweated zucchini noodles, then the sauce, sausage - repeat as many times as you'd like and end with a zucchini layer, sauce & some cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30-45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for at least 15-20 minutes. ** I promise let it cool - it makes the whole process so much easier