Second Step. Sauce. After some pointers from E's cousin we came up with a pretty damn good concoction.
- Melt 1-2 TB of butter in a saucepan over medium heat
- Add in 1/4-1/3 cup onion & 1-2 TB of garlic (we really like our garlic) and sautee until fragrant
- Add in one 15oz can of tomato sauce and 3 oz (half a can) of tomato paste
- Mix everything in and let simmer for 10-15 minutes. Feel free to add salt/pepper/chili flakes as it simmers, the more taste checks the better...am I right?!
- Add in a TB of white vinegar, chopped fresh basil and grated parmesan cheese and let simmer for just a wee bit longer until taste is to your desire.
At this point, it was time to handle the big ball...of dough of course. We went for 2 thick pan style crust. Essentially we oiled up two 8" cake pans and fit the dough to the pan, leaving the crust thick on the outside. We dabbled the crust with some garlic olive oil, in hopes for some extra garlicky flavor
Then the fun part...CHEESE!
Well before I get ahead of myself, we spooned the sauce in and thennnn cheese cheese cheese. We went for classic mozzarella on both, Asiago cheese crust on one, and sliced chicken on the other. We had no idea what to expect, we were more than ready to call up the Wig had this been a total disaster. To our surprise...it was the greatest thing ever.