I wouldn't say that I am a big pasta eater, I rarely will go to a restaurant and order a pasta dish. However, that doesn't mean I can't take down a big bowl of noodles.Now, Ethan on the other hand is a big pasta eater, I think he could probably eat variations of pasta every day (as long as there was meat and cheese involved). In order to feed his carb cravings, I tend to make a pasta dish once or twice a week.
I have become of a huge fan of one pot dishes - the only thing that would make them easier would be one of these bad boys. I mean, a girl can dream. But with or without a gorgeous dutch oven, this meal is practically fool proof.
Start sauteing the onions & garlic in oil on medium high heat. I love when Ethan is home while I'm starting to cook because this is his favorite smell in the world.
Toss in your ground turkey (or beef) and season to your liking. For me, that's usually just salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cook until browned.
Add in the diced tomatoes & sauce and get it simmering.
Stir in the spinach until wilted. At this time feel free to add any more seasonings to your mixture - salt, pepp, garlic seasonings, etc.
Add in the tortellini and transfer to a baking dish if your pan has hit its limits. Ethan was watching from a far and reminded me..."don't you need to boil that". I just stared at him until he realized I knew what I was doing and went back to his business. Don't be concerned about adding in raw pasta, it will cook in the oven.
Cover the noodles with mozz, which we already conveniently had shredded from pizza making, and the grated parmesan. Cook for 20-30 minutes with foil on top for the first 10-15.
Your only job now is to devour!
We pushed our bellies as far as they could go and still managed to have a decent amount of leftovers - which Ethan gladly ate for lunch the next day.
- serves around 2-4 people (depending on how much you eat)
- 1 TB olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 sweet onion chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey (we get lean 93/7% but feel free to use beef too)
- 1 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes drained
- 1 14.5oz can of tomato sauce (use any sauce you like)
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 package of tortellini
- Shredded mozzarella and grated parmesan*
*who really even measures their cheese anyways
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Sautee garlic & onions in the olive oil in pan until fragrant
- Add in ground turkey and cook until browned (if using beef or fattier turkey make sure to drain most of the grease)
- Add in diced tomatoes (drained) and can of tomato sauce
- Stir in baby spinach until wilted and let simmer
- Turn off heat & add in tortellini and cover with cheese
- Transfer to baking dish (or place your pan in oven if large enough). Cover with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes then uncover and bake for another 5-10 until cheese is melted